Summer has a thorough grip on us here along the Texas Gulf coast. The dogs are too hot to chase cars. Only the mosquitos are staying busy, working hard as ever. The rest of us are moving much more slowly. We are accompanied day and night by an insect symphony with a lot on the program. Sounds like Summer, alright.
I've been enjoying this summer's bug broadcast so much that I went poking around for more:
- Insects sounds from the forests of Northern Thailand
- Bugs are sounding off at the Iowa State University Department of Entomology
- Richard Mankin brings out hidden insect sounds
- Cicada sounds from Borneo
- Folkway's the Sound of Insects
- There's a whole.zip full of bugs at Meanrabbit
There hasn't been a cricket in the house in ages. Well, at least, I didn't think so. While playing sounds from these sites, a crickety chirp started rasping out from behind the couch. Hmmmm, I wonder if playing some bat sounds will make those mosquitoes nervous.